Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Potty update

So, we're on day 6 of potty training I think. Emma Kate has really done extremely well in the last few days... it was a bit of a rough start, but I think once she had a couple of successes and saw how wonderful the response was, she decided it was worthwhile to change!! Amazingly enough, she is quite the pro at pooping in the toilet (yes, I am going to discuss potty details here so jump ahead if you're grossed out!) and so far she has only misfired ONCE!!! She is doing well with the peepee part too, but has a few accidents each day. She's sort of funny, you can *definitely* tell when she is needing to go, and she will often times do practice runs, but as soon as her bottom hits the seat, she says "all done" and pulls her panties back up. She usually gets a bit fretful around this time, asking to be held, and fussing some. So far it seems the most success is gained when we sort of ignore the potty issue and let her decide completely on her own when it is time to go, listen for the potty to play music, and then swoop in yelling and cheering! She has had so many successes while I am nursing Gretta down for a nap- I don't know if it's because she knows she has to be quiet and that I am tied up or what, but it works! She did it twice like that yesterday AND today, plus today while Gretta slept this morning, I took a shower while Greg did some errands in town, and Emma Kate was playing with a matching game outside the bathroom door. I was in the middle of shaving my leg when I heard the potty sing!! Of course I had to dash out of the shower, leg still covered in shaving cream, dripping all over the place, and celebrate her success! I had no other option!!! :P So far we've just been laying on the praise and telling her how proud everyone is of her, and every time she succeeds she gets to pick out 2 Dora temporary tattoos to put on- she loves it! We just started today giving her one M&M when we randomly ask her if her panties are dry and they are. She's learned this pretty fast- now she will tell us her panties are dry and ask for a "treat" but that's not exactly how this is supposed to work... :) Yesterday I offered to take the girls on a walk before it occurred to me that we'd be in a tight spot with the potty situation, but Emma Kate was so excited about "going down the gravel road" that I couldn't go back on it... I had to use a bungee cord to secure the potty on to the back of the stroller and head out with my fingers crossed. Despite my efforts... she had a little accident on our friends' porch right in front of their front door! Of course all this happened as a giant thunderstorm was gathering... so we had to cut it short and pack up to rush home. Got home to blue skies with thunder long in the distance. :( Anyhow, we are still plugging away at the training and hope to be fairly confident before heading to the beach at the end of the month!

No comments: